Thursday, December 27, 2012

Homemade Vanilla

I had all these grandiose plans of cooking up a storm and trying new things over vacation but then we were with family eating our faces off and then we came home with a ton of leftovers. I also realized that my paycheck will be pitifully tiny this pay period because of Christmas break so cooking up a storm is not in the cards or in the best interest of our already stuffed fridge. I can't resist the pull of my cute (and newly colorful!) kitchen so when I saw this empty bottle just chilling and then I found some old dried up vanilla beans in the back of my spice cabinet I knew what had to be done! Homemade vanilla extract requires three things: a bottle, vanilla beans, and vodka (one variation is to use bourbon...I'm intrigued). I had the bottle and the beans and we're not big vodka drinkers so I had no problem dipping into our bar to use it for a little project. I'll see how it came out in two months...
Homemade Vanilla Extract
Ingredients:
1 cup vodka
3 vanilla beans, split
1 glass bottle w/stopper or mason jar
Directions:
1. Split the vanilla beans in half lengthwise and put into jar
2. Add vodka and seal the jar
3. Put it in your cupboard and wait at least two excruciatingly long months, shaking periodically. 

No comments:

Post a Comment