Sunday, October 28, 2012

Ginger-Spice Cookies

Evidently all I need is a weekend at home with no social obligations and a hurricane to get my kitchen/blogging groove back! I wasn't a huge fan of these cookies. They are good but I don't think I like the chocolate-ginger combination.  I was drawn to this recipe because of the spices! I've never seen cookies with fresh ginger in them. Mr. Lawyer was intrigued as well and requested this recipe when I changed my mind and was leaning towards my brown sugar blueberry cookies. Good thing he likes them because he's getting them all! Give these bad boys a try if you're adventurous and think you might like the chocolate-ginger combination....I will be sticking to my traditional gingersnap cookies.
Chewy Chocolate Ginger-Spice Cookies
(adapted from Martha Stewart)
Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter (8 tablespoons), softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon fresh, grated ginger
1/2 cup molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground, dried ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
Sugar for rolling
Directions:
1. In the bowl of a mixer, beat the butter with the brown sugar until creamy and combined well. Add the fresh ginger, molasses, and vanilla, mix to combine. 
2. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, cocoa, ground ginger, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and salt. 
3.  Add the dry mixture to the butter mixture and pulse until just combined. 
4. Fold in chopped chocolate. Cover and chill the dough for at least 2 hours, or until very firm.
5. Preheat oven to 325*F and line baking sheets. Scoop dough into rounds and roll into a ball. Roll each ball in cinnamon sugar and place on baking sheets. Flatten cookies before baking for 15-18 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment