This is what a well stocked storm fridge looks like:
Milk, several bottles of Ommegang, Simple Syrup/Grenadine/Key Lime Juice/Dirty Martini Mix, Multiple Ginger Beers, three types of juice (Orange, Pineapple, and Passion Fruit), and Sweet & Sour Mix. Plus there's a full wine rack in the apartment.
In addition to the Lapu Lapu and Dark & Stormy cocktails we've tried out some Hurricane recipes. Now I'm sure that professionally made Hurricane's are delicous. The two we made were totally drinkable but I'd rather make a Lapu Lapu than a Hurricane. The first, made with passion fruit, was very sweet. The second, a slushy beverage, was not as sweet but the ice got in the way (plus it separated). I would definitely omit the blender part and just serve it over ice.
1 ounces light rum
1 ounces dark rum
2 ounces passion fruit juice
1 ounce orange juice
Juice of half a lime
1 tablespoon simple syrup
1 tablespoon grenadine
Orange slice and cherry for garnish
1. Squeeze juice from half a lime into a cocktail shaker over ice.
2. Pour the remaning ingredients into the cocktail shaker.
3. Shake, shake, shake!
4. Strain into a hurrican glass.
5. Garnish with a cherry and orange slice.
You can see the ice separating from the alcohol.
Frozen Hurricane, N'Awlins Style!
(recommended by my friend Nyk, a Tulane graduate)
1 ounce light rum
1 ounce dark rum
1 ounce Bacardi 151
3 ounces orange juice
3 ounces pineapple juice
1/2 ounce grenadine
2.5 cups ice
1. Put all ingredients into a blender.
2. Add ice and blend until slushy.
3. Pour into a tall high-ball or large margarita glass.