Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Well, it's not like my dad's

I never really had meatloaf until high school. I suppose that's when my dad decided he should learn how to cook (So Ben and I weren't exclusive raised on chicken fingers and mac and cheese. Hi Dad! Just joking...mostly.) and he made a delicious meatloaf. I called him up to ask him his recipe but he couldn't find it/couldn't remember it. So not helpful. Getting forgetful in retirement dad. Tsk tsk. This one was okay (although it had rave reviews). I used a pre-packaged mix of beef, pork and veal (on sale!). Between the milk and the bread it was just a tad too soft for me plus there was a lot of extra liquid bubbling up. I poured it off when the time was up but luckily Mr. Lawyer wasn't home yet so I let it sit in the oven after I turned it off. This decreased the soupiness. I would decrease the milk and use some bread crumbs the next go around. For me the key is to use Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce in place of the ketchup. It's what dad always did so it tastes like my childhood and I love it. Half the loaf is gone so I guess it wasn't that bad! Also, meatloaf is a gross name.
Savory Meat Loaf
(Adapted from Betty Crocker)
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup milk
1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1teaspoon chopped fresh sage leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried sage leaves (omitted)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 garlic clove, finely chopped or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 egg
3 slices bread, torn into small pieces
1small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
1/2 cup ketchup, chili sauce or barbecue sauce
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix all ingredients except ketchup. Spread mixture in ungreased loaf pan, 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2 or 9x5x3 inches, or shape into 9x5-inch loaf in ungreased rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches. Spread ketchup over top.
3. Insert meat thermometer so tip is in center of loaf. Bake uncovered 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until thermometer reads 160°F.

No comments:

Post a Comment