Monday, January 16, 2012

Stir Frying Beast!

I finally gathered up the guts to stir fry meat. I decided on beef because if you mess up and it's kind of raw you'll be okay. It was also on sale at the grocery store, buy one get one! The frozen stir fry veggies were also on sale. I pulled the General Tso's sauce out of the freezer and it worked out fairly well. My main complaint was that it wasn't as thick and pretty looking as when I made it fresh. I'm assuming this is a freezing/thawing issue. It still tasted amazing.
Technique! In my search for stir fry recipes I've found a couple of tips that are incredible useful. The first is how to slice the meat. A slightly frozen piece of meat will make slicing more easy (this I learned from my mother). To make the perfect sized stir fry pieces cut steak crosswise in 1/2 inch strips and then cut each strip lengthwise. All the pieces will be uniform in size and it's easy to trim all the fat.
The second thing is to take the meat out while it's still a little rare. You'll be throwing it back in with the veggies and sauce so it will finish cooking.
Beef and Pepper Stir Fry
(a hodgepodge of different recipes)
Ingredients:
Beef, sliced into small strips
Choice of veggies (We used frozen peppers and onions)
Choice of stir fry sauce
1 tablespoon peanut oil
2 tablespoons rice vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon peeled, grated fresh ginger
Directions: 
1. Combine vinegar, soy, honey and ginger. Marinate beef for 30+ minutes.
2. Heat oil in wok until smoking. Pat meat dry and stir fry in small batches until brown outside but still rare inside, about 1 minute. Set aside.
3. Add your veggies and stir fry until desired tenderness. We prefer ours a little on the crunchy side.
4. Add in cooked meat and stir fry sauce. Continue to cook until sauce thickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment