Normally I don'd mess with tradition and perfection but I had to lighten this up and use what we had on hand. I only used 2 tablespoons of butter and it was fine (1/2 stick Grandpa?! Are you trying to kill me?). I used leftover cheese from our party and since the Cabot Seriously Sharp was everyone's favorite there wasn't a single piece left for this dish! I used a combination of swiss, smoked cheddar and a handful of shredded four cheese mix. It was pretty good especially when you got a hunk of smoked cheddar but I still prefer the original version.
Grandpa Norm's Chicken with Sherry
(from Grandpa Norm!)Ingredients:
2 half chicken breasts (I normally cut them into tender sized for easier cooking and serving)
1/2 stick butter (I got away with 2 tablespoons)
1 can green beans (french cut!)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded (and a little extra for good luck!)
1/2 cup sherry
Salt, pepper, garlic powder
1. Melt butter in pan. While butter is melting season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic. Pan fry chicken.
2. Drain green beans and put in 8x8 casserole dish. Remove chicken from pan and place on top of green beans. Do not drain the chicken pan.
3. Add soup and cheese to chicken pan, heat until melted.
4. Add sherry to pan and let simmer.
5. Pour sauce over chicken and green beans. Bake for 45 minutes at 325 degrees. Serve with rice or noodles.