You could always make this recipe without the bacon fat because in all honesty, you don't really need it. Or instead of the butter/sugar route you could do maple syrup which is what my dad always did in order to get us to eat our veggies. Regardless, there is nothing like some sweet carrots to make your day.
(inspired by my childhood and the internet)Ingredients:
2 lbs fresh baby carrots
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon bacon grease
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1. Add carrots, bacon grease and enough water to cover the top of carrots.
2. Cover with a lid and place on medium heat and bring to a boil.
3. Turn heat to low and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the carrots are tender when pricked with a fork.
4. When carrots become tender pour half of the water off.
5. Add melted butter and sugar to carrots.
6. Place lid on pot and cook until completely tender.