Cheese + Chicken. Need I say more? We have a Guinea Pig Kitchen Keeper! These Cheesy Crunchy Chicken Nuggets were marvelous! Just the right amount of cheese rounded out with a zesty homemade honey mustard. The buttermilk was the only "special" ingredient I had to go out to buy but I suppose it would still work with a normal egg or egg/milk wash. This recipe perfectly showcases why I love panko breadcrumbs: a nice crunchy texture.
Since it is Tuesday and Tuesdays are the worst day of the week according to the Mister I went with a childhood favorite/comfort food theme: grown up chicken nuggets and white cheddar shells. The perfect little kid meal with a grown up twist!
Crunchy Cheesy Chicken Nuggets
(adapted from how sweet it is)Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1.5 cups low-fat buttermilk
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup freshly grated asiago cheese (I used a tad bit more)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup honey
1. Chop up your chicken into bite sized pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Put in bowl and cover with buttermilk. Let soak a minimum of two hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil, put a wire rack on it and spray it with Pam.
3. Mix bread crumbs, flour, cheese, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Take each nugget from buttermilk and dredge in breading mixture, place on wire rack.
4. Bake for 10 minutes, pull out pan and flip each nugget. Return to oven for another 10-15 minutes until cooked.
5. For honey mustard: mix honey and mustard together! Serve with your nuggets.