Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Orange you glad...

I made more ice cream? Ha. Well, the scale might not be. And technically this batch was custard (sooo even worse!). So far I have made four ice creams this spring, three of them in my new ice cream machine. I had Mr. Lawyer rank them so you can have an unbiased opinion. From favorite to least favorite they are: Orange-Vanilla Frozen Custard, Chocolate Soft Serve, Cappuccino, and Cake Batter. Personally I would rank cake batter a little higher. Oh! And let's not forget about my little beautiful Lemon Basil Ice even though it's not an ice cream it is a cool refreshing treat. The orange-vanilla was very good. My only complaint with the recipe is the timing. It took much longer than 7 to 8 minutes to reach the desired consistency. It also did not agree with my ice cream maker and needed some extra time in the freezer to firm up. Look at that zest!
Orange-Vanilla Frozen Custard
(Food Network Magazine)
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed (I used orange juice and halved the amount)
4 teaspoons grated orange zest
Directions:
1. Whisk the cornstarch and 1/2 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth. Whisk the eggs, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan; whisk in the cornstarch mixture and the remaining 1 cup milk until smooth.
2. Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring, until thick enough to coat a spoon, 7 to 8 minutes (do not boil). Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, then set the bowl in a larger bowl of ice water. Add the cream and stir until cool. Remove from the ice bath; stir in the vanilla, orange juice concentrate and orange zest. Cover and chill until cold.
3. Freeze the custard in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions (I'm skipping this part and just leaving it in the bowl and it's fine).

No comments:

Post a Comment