Thursday, January 31, 2013

Kitchen Fail!

I couldn't figure out what was wrong with this recipe it seemed so promising but the flavor wasn't there. Don't get me wrong, it was perfectly fine to eat but it just didn't pop. Then I looked over the list again and realized I forgot to put in the brown sugar. Whomp whomp. Being that we're on this whole clean eating kick and significantly reducing our sugar and unhealthy processed food consumption, Mr. Lawyer wouldn't let me add the sugar in at the end. So we just added some Dinosaur BBQ sauce to fix it up a bit....not that much more healthy right? I have a feeling that if done correctly this would be a good recipe...if you choose to leave the brown sugar out it's merely "meh".
So this whole healthy eating kick makes for boring blogging. We've been eating a lot of meals we know are healthy (like the veggie soup) and repeats (tonight: leftover pork with a side of roasted chickpeas!). Snooze. On the plus side I'm not craving a ton of sugar which means no baking and consuming an entire batch of cookies....but again boring blogging, my apologies. I'm hoping to experiment with some healthy carbs and more veggie dishes once I get organized. Actually I just want to eat refried beans and roasted chickpeas all week but that's also boring.
Bourbon BBQ Crock Pot Pulled Pork
(Pinterest!)
Ingredients
2 lb. pork shoulder
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup bourbon
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
1 large onion, sliced
Directions:
1. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Brown the pork on all sides and place in slow cooker. Add onions.
2. Mix the dark brown sugar, bourbon, soy sauce, Dijon mustard, and ketchup. Pour over the pork and onion mixture.
3. Set the slow cooker to low and cook the pork mixture for 8 hours. At the end of 8 hours, remove the pork let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
4. Using an immersion blender, blend the onions and the sauce to a smooth mixture.
5. Shred the pork and mix some of the sauce with the shredded pork. Serve with extra sauce if requested.

No comments:

Post a Comment