Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Dill Bread!

There is nothing like fresh homemade bread. I am partial to a warm slice of homemade bread, slathered with butter, and drizzled with honey. Yum. I went looking for this recipe because there is a lot of leftover dill from the dill steaks. This particular recipe called for cottage cheese but the comments said you could sub sour cream which was perfect because I had some leftover from my birthday/football play off party that I needed to use up. The bread texture is soft, the crust is gorgeous, and the flavor is delicate. I would have preferred a more pronounced dill flavor. I just found another recipe that used 1/4 cup fresh dill! I might go with that next time.
Look at beautiful golden brown!
Dill Bread
(Adapted from the Joy of Cooking)
Ingredients:
1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon minced onion
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or 1 tablespoon dried dill or dill seeds
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cottage cheese (I subbed sour cream)
1 large egg
Directions:
1. Combine yeast and water in a small bowl and let stand until the yeast is dissolved, about five minutes.
2. Combine cottage cheese, sugar, onion, butter, dill, salt, soda, egg and dissolved yeast. Mix well.
3. Add flour and mix well. Knead for 5 to 10 minutes. Cover and let rise in a warm place for one hour.
4. Punch down and place in a greased loaf pan. Let rise for 40 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350 and bake bread for 35-40 minutes.
doubled in volume, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment