Friday, October 28, 2011

Lemongrass Chicken

"In my book, it's a win" so says Mr. Lawyer. It was different, it grew on me, but I'm not itching to make it again. Of course I don't know how I stand on curry powder so I only used 1 teaspoon instead of a tablespoon. I just used one jalapeno instead of 3 chilies and I would increase that, it could have used more spice. It was an interesting combination of salty and sweet. It was fun to branch out and use lemongrass from my garden!
Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken
(adapted form Food and Wine Magazine)
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons fish sauce
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast/thigh, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons cooking oil
2 fresh lemongrass stalks, tender inner white bulbs only, minced
1 large shallot, thinly sliced
3 chilies, seeded and minced
1 scallion for garnishingMethod:
Directions:
1. In a bowl, combine the fish sauce, garlic, curry powder, salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the sugar. Add the chicken meat to coat.
2. In a small skillet, mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar with 1 tablespoon of the water and cook over high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Cook without stirring until a deep amber caramel forms. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of water. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Heat a wok over high heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the lemongrass, shallot, and chilies and stir-fry until fragrant. Add the chicken and caramel and stir-fry until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is slightly thickened. Transfer to a bowl and top with the scallion. Serve with steamed white rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment