Friday, June 3, 2011

Herbs and Things

I had quite the little windowsill herb collection back in Syracuse. And an extensive veggie collection that took over both the back and front porch (5 types of peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplants, lettuce, plus some strawberries and sunflowers). I am currently working on building it up again which is tricky with the lack of space.
Holy Weggy! I transplanted and moved him to the balcony. Clearly he's enjoying it, he use to be so little
As you can see I have a TON of basil. But what to do with all of it? Which brings us back to the multitude of edible things grown in Syracuse. Freeze it! A quarter of the freezer at the house was full of frozen herbs but no one ever complained because who doesn't like fresh herbs that are free for the taking?! I followed this method found at Better Homes and Gardens. I had every little freezer bag labeled and dated. Some things were chopped, some things weren't. I never made the paste (maybe this year) but I do currently have frozen pesto (leftover from the other day)! And in cute little christmas tree shapes because I don't have a normal ice cube tray. I should probably get some...
I'm a fan of freezing lots of things in little portions: broth, sauce, coffee for iced coffee (doesn't water it down!). Why waste the little left over bits and it makes it easy for future cooking when you only need a little bit and don't want to open a new container!

No comments:

Post a Comment