Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Macadamias, I love you

Yesterday we had Brad and Christine over for dinner. I promise I'll take a break from cooking my wonderful turkey burgers. It's just like my tortellini, I find something I like and then make it a bunch!
I saw these cookies in my magazine last month and had been wanting to try them but Mr. Lawyer banned me from baking yummy treats because "you're making me fat!" psh. Portion control baby. Don't eat 1/3 of the rum cake for breakfast. Yeah. That totally happened.
Not only did these cookies look good but I just wanted an excuse to have macadamia nuts in the apartment. I developed a love-hate relationship with these cookies. First off, Martha dipped half of each cookie in chocolate. I don't have a good track record with dipping cookies in chocolate (please reference my cookie massacre) so I took the Jackson Pollock approach and just splattered chocolate all over them and it looked pretty awesome. While I was chilling batter and cutting them I swore up and down that I would not be making these again. But then I ate one and I can't quite put my finger on it. And now I might make them again because I keep eating them. It's a weird lemony shortbread sorta macadamia cookie. If you didn't know it contained macadamias I'm not sure you would realize it right away.
Chocolate-Dipped Macadamia Cookies
(Martha Stewart, Everyday Food)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon course salt
1/2 macadamia nuts, toasted and finely ground
1 cup all-purpose flour
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
Directions:
1. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, 2 minutes.
2. Add egg yolk, lemon zest and juice, and salt and beat until combined. Beat in buts. Add flour and beat until combined.
3. Form dough into a 4.5 inch log, wrap in plastic, and freeze until firm, 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 350. Cut dough into 1/4 inch slices, bake until golden at edges about 14 minutes. Cool completely.
5. Melt chocolate (microwave at 30 second intervals), dip half of cookie into chocolate, set on parchment paper to set. Or drizzle all over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment