Beef Empanadas with Black Bean Dipping Sauce
(from Bon Appetit)Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound ground beef
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (red) pepper
1/3 cup fresh cilantro (Which I totally omitted)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 package puff pastry
3 egg yolks, beaten (for glazed)
I added cheese to each one, whatever kind you would like.
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup sour cream
2 roma tomatoes, seeded, chopped and divided
2 large scallions, chopped, divided
1. Heat oil over medium-high heat and brown beef with garlic, approximately 3 minutes.
2. Add tomato paste, cumin and cayenne to beef, stirring often for 4ish minutes.
3. Add cilantro, salt and pepper (to taste) and let beef come to room temperature.
4. Preheat oven to 375 and cut puff pastry sheets in to 4.5 inch squares.
5. Lightly brush edges with egg glaze, put in a spoonful of filling (meat and cheese!) and fold pastry over. Crimp edges with a fork and coat with egg glaze. Bake until golden and puffy, approximately 20 minutes.
Dipping Sauce Directions:
1. Puree beans and sour cream in the blender. Transfer to bowl. Add half of the tomatoes and scallions, stir. Top sauce with the remaining half of tomatoes and scallions.
Obviously I suck at math and did not make triangles.