(from Quick Breads, Soups, and Strews)Ingredients:
3 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons warm water
1 package quick-rising yeast
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons light oil
1/2 cup warm water
For egg wash:
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
1. Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor or mixer.
2. In a smal bowl combine the 2 tablespoons of water with the yeast, stirring until it dissolves. Let sit 2 minutes.
3. Blend the eggs and oil together in a 2nd small bowl.
4. Add the yeast water to the dry ingredients and then the egg mixture.
5. While mixing, add 1/2 cup water. Let knead for 30 seconds. If dough is too dry, add a teaspoon of water. If the dough it too wet, add a tablespoon of flour until it makes a soft dough.
6. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes. Round into a ball and place in a warm bowl coated with vegetable spray. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a towel. Let proof until doubles, about 45 minutes.
7. Punch the dough down and divide into four equal portions. Roll into strips 12 inches long. Then braid them into the desired shape. Place the braid on a baking sheet covered with vegetable spray. Cover and let double, about 30 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush the braid thoroughly with the egg wash. Bake about 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
Fresh out of the oven!