Sunday, November 3, 2013

Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie

Yet another thing off the Fall Bucket List!
I'm a pumpkin pie girl and a traditionalist. I don't like to mess with things and I like my routine. Just ask my Grandma Nancy who has to make me broccoli salad at every family gathering. If you change things I'm not a happy camper. I was intrigued by this recipe but hesitant to butcher a perfectly good pumpkin pie. I'm glad I did! This was a nice change up but not glaringly different from a traditional pumpkin. There was a slight fruity sweetness due to the apple butter but that was all. It felt like a lightened up pumpkin pie. The proof is in the pie...or lack therefore of. If Mr. Lawyer finishes the pie (and crumbs!) in 24 hours I guess it is a keeper.
We had it with some bubbly because why not?
Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie
(Taste of Home)
Ingredients:
3 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup apple butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon each ground ginger, cloves and nutmeg
1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
Whipped cream
Directions:
1. In a large bowl combine eggs, pumpkin, apple butter, brown sugar, evaporated milk, milk, and vanilla. Whisk in salt and spices until well blended. Pour into pastry shell.
2. Bake at 400° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cover edges loosely with foil during the last 20 minutes if necessary. Cool on wire rack. Garnish with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment