Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Noodle Substitution

I had some rice noodles that I was dying to get out of the cupboard and a cold noodle dish seemed a welcome addition to this ridiculous heat. I have really felt like I'm from the "North Country" this week. I've only been sitting in sun reading and I've been drenched with sweat, completely melting away. It's only April....this does not bode well for the summer. I'm doomed. Also, reason #1 why I want a fall wedding.
Anywho, this dish was pretty good but I'd lighten up the on chili oil. I used two teaspoons and it was very hot. Now I like spicy things but it was a bit distracting. I'm sure the dish is wonderful if you use the required soba noodles but rice noodles were a satisfactory stand it. Make sure you chop the ginger up very well. I would even suggest grating it. I got a big chunk and was like WHOA! and I like ginger. The original recipe topped the dish with toasted sesame seeds which I forgot. 
Rice Noodles with Sweet Ginger Scallion Sauce
(Pinterest! Adapted from simplyreem)
Ingredients:
9oz of soba noodles (I used pad thai rice noodles)
1 cup scallions, finely chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons ginger, minced (I would grate it)
2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1-2 teaspoons chili oil (I would stick to one, it was so spicy!)
Directions:
1. Cook noodles according to package.
2. Mix all sauce ingredients (scallions through chili oil), allow sauce to set for 10 minutes.
3. Toss noodles with sauce, coat well. Enjoy hot or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment