Let's rate this recipe: Mr. Lawyer had three servings and is planning on having it for breakfast. WINNER. It was simply and pretty quick. I liked that the sauce was light and not overpowering. Even though the sauce was just a slight coating the flavor was banging! The spicy sausage flavor permeates the sauce and the freshness of the peppers was so summery. I used all red peppers instead of red, orange, and yellow because that's what was on sale and it didn't take away from anything. There was a real depth to the flavor. I think it was the spicy sausage flavor and the wine. Delicious!
Spicy Sausage & Pepper Noodles in Tomato-Wine Sauce
(Pinterest find! Adapted from thecozyapron.com)Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 spicy Italian sausage links, casings removed and crumbled
1 large onion, quartered and sliced thinly
1 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
3 peppers (red, yellow, orange), cored and thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
½ cup dry white wine
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 box rigatoni noodles
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan, brown the sausage. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Saute the onions in sausage drippings, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the salt, pepper, and italian seasoning. Then add in the sliced peppers, saute until tender (3 minutes). Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
4. Add the wine and simmer until it's over half reduced. Add the can of undrained diced tomatoes and then return the sausage to the mix. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Cook noodles according to directions on box. Place the noodles in a large bowl and top with the sausage sauce, toss gently.
6. Serve with fresh basil, parsley, or parmesan.