Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Giant Stuffed Mushrooms!

Mushrooms are delicious and amazing. But when I said I was making a vegetarian stuff mushroom, I got a look from the boy. Luckily I had one spicy chicken sausage left in the freezer so I was able to augment this dish with some meat and it was a hit. I do think the spicy sausage added a lot to the dish. The tangy earthiness of the goat cheese went perfectly with the rich earthiness of the portobello. I imagine these would be ten times better if they were cooked outside on a grill.
Sausage, Tomato, and Goat Cheese Stuffed Portobellos
(Pinterest find! adapted from a food centric life)
Ingredients:
4 large Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and de-gilled
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoon finely chopped shallot or onion
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 ounces of plain goat cheese
1/2 cup roasted tomatoes
1/3 cup sauteed sausage
Directions:
1. Preheat the broiler. Mix together olive oil, lemon juice, and shallot. Coat the mushrooms in olive oil mixture, salt and pepper to taste, and broil them for 5 minutes.
2. Layer the sausage and tomatoes into the mushroom,. Top with blobs of goat cheese.
3. Bake for 12 minutes or until hot at 375.
For the tomatoes I used grape tomatoes cut in half, lightly coated with olive oil, tossed with 2 cloves minced garlic and a pinch of thyme. They were roasted at 375 for 25 minutes and they were delicious. Especially with a little balsamic drizzled over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment