Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Creamy Peas!

Let it be known that I am not a huge frozen pea fan. I like snow peas and snap peas but regular old green peas? Not as much. However this recipe is divine and I would happily eat more peas. The onion-lemon-cream combination is amazing. I really didn't pick up on the mint too much. It did help that the peas were drenched in butter and cream but hey, if it makes me eat my veggies then I'm game.
This is the second recipe I've tried from my new Fast, Fresh & Green cookbook that I purchased with an engagement party gift card. So far I'm 2 for 2 (Mr. Lawyer is 1 for 2 as he didn't care for the Crunchy Salad). I'm loving this new cookbook! 
Peas with Lemon, Mint, and Scallion
(from Fast, Fresh & Green)
Ingredients:
Kosher salt
8 ounces shelled green peas (about 2 cups) or frozen peas (about 1.5 cups)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 large scallions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh mint
1/2 teaspoon packed finely grated lemon zest
Freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
1. If using fresh peas: Fill a large saucepan half full with water and 2 teaspoons salt and bring to a boil. Drop the peas into the boiling water and cook until just tender (taste one or two), 2 minutes for smaller peas, 3 minutes for larger, older peas. Begin timing immediately, don't wait for the water to return to a boil. Use a mesh strainer to transfer the peas to a dish towel or a few layers of paper towels to drain. Discard teh water the peas were boiled in, but reserve the pot.
If using frozen peas: Put the peas in a colander and run cold water over them for a few minutes until they're mostly thawed. Spread them out on a few layers of dish towel to drain.
2. Melt the butter in the reserved saucepan over low heat. Add the scallions and saute until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the heavy cream, half of the mint, then lemon zest, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until it thickens slightly and a wooden spoon lives a wide path when scraped across the bottom of the pan, about 1 minute. Add the peas and stir until they're heated through and well coated with the sauce, 1 minute more. Remove the pan from the heat, taste for salt and pepper, and serve immediately, garnished with the remaining mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment