Sunday, September 16, 2012

Spicy Chinese Chicken

When we sat down for dinner and Mr. Lawyer took a bite he said something along the lines of "wow, it really has been a long time since you cooked a meal." Yikes! Good thing this spicy chinese chicken was a decent hit. I say decent because I had higher expectations for certain parts but it was completely delicious and edible. The chicken was very moist. After reading the comments I was worried that the vinegar would be overpowering so I decreased it a smidge and replaced that part with water. It worked out fine. We served it up with some steamed broccoli and rice.
Issue #1 - I wanted it to be crunchier! If I make it again I will probably follow the coating recipe for my General Tso's Chicken. Doing the egg last was creepy and it did puff up and cook when you threw it in the oil. 
Issue #2 - I wanted it to be spicier! When I tasted the sauce before I cooked it I thought it was spicy enough but after baking it the spice went away! It was more of a tangy and sweet sauce instead of spicy.
Issue #3 - Not enough sauce! Sad story. I suppose it was healthier that way.
Spicy Chinese Chicken
(Pinterest find! From Mandy's Recipe Box)
Ingredients:
3-4 boneless chicken breasts
salt & pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
Spicy Sauce:
1/4 cup sugar
4 tbsp ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
Sriracha Hot Sauce to taste (I used 1 teaspoon)
Red Pepper flakes
Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. 
2. Cut chicken into cubes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat then dip into the eggs. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet and cook your chicken until browned but not cooked through. 
3. Place the chicken in a 9x13 greased baking dish. Mix all of your Spicy Sauce ingredients in a bowl with a whisk and then pour evenly over the chicken.
4. Bake for one hour and during the baking process you will need to turn the chicken every 15 minutes. Sprinkle with Red Pepper flakes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment