Thursday, April 28, 2011

Candied Sweet Potatoes

All this Easter candy has brought out my sweet tooth. These sweet potatoes were the perfect match for the maple ham. It was simple and relatively quick once the potatoes were cooked. This dish is both Mr. Lawyer and Amanda approved!
Candied Sweet Potatoes
(allrecipes.com)
Ingredients:
2 sweet potatoes
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup orange juice (I only used 1/8 cup based on the reviews)
Directions:
1. Boil cut-up sweet potatoes or bake whole potatoes at 350 degrees until tender.
2. In a frying pan, melt the butter and brown sugar together until bubbly. Add the orange juice and stir until smooth. Add the cut-up sweet potatoes and cook slowly, turning occasionally until the sweet potatoes are caramelized, about 20 minutes. If syrup is too thin, add a bit more brown sugar.

I didn't cut up my sweet potatoes before boiling because I was trying a new method of peeling potatoes which can be found here: Potato Peeling Video. This was sent to me by Mrs. T and it was much more fun than standing at the sink peeling potatoes! All you need to do is score the center of your potatoes, boil them until done, throw them into ice water and twist. It worked really well, here's one of my potatoes half-skinned.

No comments:

Post a Comment