Thursday, October 31, 2013

Chickpea Soup!

The weather took a turn towards the chilly side of things so a soup was to be made. I totally winged this soup and used only what I had at home. I based the first part, or the soup base, off of my much loved Tomato-Orzo Soup recipe. Then I added chickpeas and red pepper flakes instead of tomatoes and orzo. It came out better than I expected. I'm sure using the homemade chicken stock played a large part in that, it's just so flavorful! I wish I had some greens or something to add to it but I wasn't running out to the store. A side of garlic-cheddar biscuits accompanied this steaming bowl of goodness.
Chickpea Soup!
(from my kitchen!)
Ingredients:
4 cups chicken broth
2 cans of chickpeas, rinsed
1 onion
5 cloves of garlic
Red pepper flakes
Fresh cracked pepper & salt (I did not add any salt)
Olive oil
Directions:
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in the chicken stock, chickpeas, red pepper flakes, cracked pepper and, salt (to taste). 3. Bring the soup to a boil then lower the heat and let it simmer until the chickpeas are on the softer side. If you want to mash or puree part of it for a thicker broth now is the time to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment