Monday, March 26, 2012

Inside Out, Upside Down

And not yummy! I was very excited for this recipe. I found it on pinterest, it looked delicious and it would have worked perfectly for Meatless Monday. Sadly, it did not come out as I hoped. It was really lacking a burst of flavor. Mr. Lawyer doctored it up with some more sweet chili sauce which did help but at that point I didn't care. It did need more sauce so maybe double that part of the recipe? I am not ashamed to admit that I made a PB&J after dinner which still left me unsatisfied! I blame the bread that's been in our fridge for 2 weeks and old peanut butter. *Sighs* Not my kitchen night.
There was also a lot of prep work involved which might have been due to the fact that I lack the upper arm strength to use the mandoline efficiently. Mr. Lawyer normally takes over the mandoline....probably because he's afraid I'll slice off a finger.
Also, canned organic baby corn is gross. I picked all mine out.
Inside Out Chinese Spring Roll Salad
(found on pinterest, from better recipes.com)
Ingredients:
2 oz Bean Thread, mung bean noodles (subbed rice noodles)
3 cups Shredded Napa Cabbage
1 cup Torn Watercress (omitted)
1 Carrot, cut into matchstick thin strips
1/2 cup Seedless Cucumber, cut into matchstick thin strips
1/2 cup Red Bell Pepper, cut into matchstick thin strips
1 Green Onion, minced
1 cup Chopped Baby Corn
2 Tbsp Snipped Cilantro
2 Tbsp Snipped Mint
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
2 Tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
2 Tbsp Lime Juice
1 tsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp Minced Ginger Root
1 Large Clove Garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp Lime Zest
Garnish- Black Sesame Seeds
Directions:
1. Soak the bean threads in warm water to cover for 10 minutes or till pliable. Drain, then cook in boiling water till the noodles expand and appear glasslike, 1-2 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again. Cut into 4-inch lengths. Place in a large bowl along with the rest of the salad ingredients. In a small bowl whisk together the ingredients for the dressing till well combined; toss with the salad to evenly coat. Garnish with sesame seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment