Saturday, March 31, 2012

Crockpot Thai

Yet another pinterest find! Luckily this recipe came out decently because it started off as a small disaster! I'm getting ready to make it an hour before I leave for work and I thought I had teriyaki sauce. When I went to the cupboard I discovered it was hoisin sauce! Okay fine, I'll make my own. I have a Tyler Florence recipe that is good but it requires 2 oranges. Ah well, we have some orange juice I'll use. NOPE. Someone finished the OJ and didn't tell me. *sighs* Panic! Eh, let's see if these cutie clementines will work. And so my morning went. My afternoon was just as good. Without any time to run to the cheap big grocery store I went to the corner market for tortillas because there was a lot of sauce with this dish and I figured it needed something sturdy. Package of tortillas $5, head of lettuce $1.50. Needless to say I went with lettuce wraps (and rice).
The crockpot all ready to go!
Overall it was pretty good. Mr. Lawyer chowed down a ton! I thought there was a bitter after taste but he didn't think so. I had that happen one other time in Syracuse when I did a slow cooker chipotle lime turkey breast recipe. Weird. The peanut sauce was not overpowering but had a nice kick to it. I halved the meat but kept the sauce the same. The official rating was good but I'm not sold on it being a keeper so the recipe of the week goes to the Cashew Chicken!
Thai Pork with Peanut Sauce
(adapted from Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker)
Ingredients:
One (2 pound) boneless pork loin, fat trimmed and cut into 4 pieces
2 red bell peppers, cut into strips
1/2 cup prepared teriyaki sauce (I made my own)
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic
2-3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
Toppings:
chopped green onions
roasted chop peanuts
lime slices
Directions:
1. Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Place all ingredients except for peanut butter and garnishes in the slow cooker.
2. Cook on low for 8-9 hours.
3. Before serving, remove pork and cut up. Mix peanut butter with sauce in slow cooker until peanut butter dissolves.
4. Toss pork back in slow cooker and coat with sauce. Serve over rice with garnishes!
Our garnishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment