Friday, February 10, 2012

Veggie Lo Mein

I am out of rice but just happened to find some real lo mein noodles on my last shopping trip. There was also a convenient sale on baby bok choy and mushrooms, one of my favorite stir fry combinations. I figured this was a sign to try to make my first lo mein dish! It was mostly successful. The sauce wasn't as rich or flavorful as I wanted it but I think that's because I didn't follow a recipe and was just kind of throwing things together without measuring (the horror!). I wanted it to be spicy and remind me of the lo mein we always had at the Mongolian Bar in college but alas, that did not happen. While I was mixing it tasted wonderful but once I added it to the dish the taste dissipated. But in true lo mein fashion it was better the next day. I can attest to this as I am sitting here eating the leftovers for breakfast as I type!

Mushroom and Baby Bok Choy Lo Mein
(created in my kitchen!)
No real recipe because I winged it! But the sauce included: soy, a few dashes of sesame oil, dry sherry (subbed for rice wine vinegar), fresh garlic, onion, ginger and pepper. Right before you add it to the dish you add some cornstarch to thicken it up and make it glossy.
And because I mentioned college and can't resist this little gem from the internet....
Truth. Every time she comes on Ashley and I tell our significant others "Hey. She went to Binghamton." Mr. Lawyer hates it. Every. Single. Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment