Thursday, February 23, 2012

Tasty Taco Thursday!

Tonight's dinner was inspired by my need to use up some random stuff in my kitchen. I purchased two lovely avocados that needed to be used. Did some quick inspiration searching and decided on fish tacos! I didn't have the required red cabbage but I did have some spicy black beans that I've been putting on my morning salads. The recipe really didn't do anything with the fish other than a standard flour coat and fry. Lame. So I dug up my Honey Lime Tilapia recipe but I didn't have a fresh lime. I marinated it anyway sans lime zest which is the major source of it's flavor but this lack of flavor inspired me to add a good heaping of Old Bay to the flour before throwing it in the pan. I was worried I used too much Old Bay but Mr. Lawyer told me that "there is no such thing." All of these substitutions worked out wonderfully! My only complaint is that I wish I made more!
Avocado and Fish Tacos
(from my kitchen!)
Ingredients:
4 tilapia fillets, thawed and cut into pieces
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2c flour
Old Bay Seasoning, desired amount
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
Avocado, diced
Black Beans
Quesadillas
Directions:
1. Mix marinade by combining lime juice, olive oil, honey, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a gallon-sized zip-top bag. Add fish and marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
2. Combine flour and Old Bay in shallow bowl. Remove fish chunks from the marinade and dredge lightly with the flour on both sides.
3. Heat 1-2 Tbsp olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook fish 3-4 minutes per side or until opaque and browned.
4. Serve with avocado and beans all wrapped up in a quesadilla!

2 comments:

  1. When I win the lottery, I'll hire you to be my chef! This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete