Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Mushroom Puffs!

I have this marvelous recipe. I made it at our friend's house during the Prep Crew's Christmas Eve's Eve Gathering so I didn't have my camera on me. I was also two Mad Elves (11%) in so there was no guarantee that the picture would have come out anyway. It was marvelous and multiple people said it was a keeper. It was also so, so simple. We were worried that all the cheesy mushroomy goodness was going to ooze out if you sliced it before baking so we baked it whole and then sliced it which worked out well. We also skipped the whole egg wash thing. I made the filling the night before so all the flavors blended together for 24 hours which probably helped.
Since I don't have a picture of my mushroom puffs here is a picture of my freezer! Mr. Lawyer is really digging the homemade breakfast sandwiches. We've been using egg beaters and turkey sausage to keep it healthy. This batch of eggs are cooling off and almost ready to go!
Mushroom Puffs
(adapted from Southern Living)
Ingredients:
1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1 package sliced mushrooms, chopped up (I used baby bella)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (I used a shallot)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion (I omitted this)
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
1 large egg
1 (17.3-oz.) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
Directions:
1. Beat cream cheese at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until smooth. Stir in mushrooms, onion, cheese, hot sauce and green onion. Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 400°. Whisk together egg and 1 Tbsp. water in a small bowl. Roll 1 puff pastry sheet into a 16- x 10-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Cut pastry in half lengthwise. Spread 1/2 cup cream cheese mixture down center of each rectangle; brush edges with egg mixture. Fold each pastry half lengthwise over filling, and pinch edges to seal. Cut pastries into 10 pieces each, and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat procedure with remaining puff pastry sheet, egg mixture, and cream cheese mixture.
3. Brush remaining egg mixture over tops of pastry pieces; sprinkle with pepper.
4. Bake at 400° for 20 to 25 minutes or until browned. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment