Thursday, December 29, 2011

Ginger-Chicken Soup

January's Bon Appetit has been really awesome (the broccolini was from this issue and there's a brussels sprouts recipe I want to try). I saw this recipe for Cleansing Ginger-Chicken soup and it looked delicious with the added benefits of everything ginger is suppose to do (anti-inflammtory, boost immunity, upset tummy fixer, etc) and being chicken soup. I'm having some residual sinus headaches from last weeks cold so I figured chilling in the kitchen all day huffing sauteing ginger and garlic while simultaneously making ginger-chicken soup was a good idea. Inflamed sinuses begone!
I compared a couple of recipes and couldn't decide which one I liked more. Some used homemade stock but I already had cooked chicken. I liked the idea of Bon Appetit's Cleansing soup with just broth and chicken but others got extra flavor from other veggies. Some strained the veggies and others didn't. I decided to piece together my favorite bits and pieces of each one. It came out pretty good! The broth was super yummy and gingery before I added the chicken but once the chicken was in it mostly just tasted like chicken soup which was a let down. To solve this problem I minced up some ginger and topped each bowl with a bit. This perked it back up and gave it a nice little zip. I ended up eating the strained veggies for lunch, they were nice and spicy!
Jenni's Bits and Pieces Ginger-Chicken Soup
(adapted from Bon Appetit, Real Simple, and various other recipes)
Ingredients:
1 carton reduced sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup ginger, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 carrot, roughly chopped
10 whole black peppercorns
1 handful of sliced mushrooms
Desired amount of chicken
Directions:
1. Combine broth, ginger, garlic, onion, carrot and peppercorns. Simmer till your apartment smells amazing.
2. Strain out all the vegetables and eat them for lunch.
3. Add chicken, simmer till meat is warm and feed the boy dinner.
Using my new Spider (Skimmer/Strainer) to skim out my lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment