Monday, December 19, 2011

Death by Dairy Products

Is there a limit to how many pasta and cheese dishes you can having sitting in your fridge? Because right now I have around 10 pounds worth of various pasta and cheese combinations just chilling in the fridge. Please come eat my leftovers.
Tonight we had Brad and Christine over for a chicken and mac'n'cheese dinner. I used my standard Perfect Roast Chicken recipe from Martha. It's my fourth time using this recipe so I might experiment with something new on my next whole chicken. For the macaroni and cheese I used a recipe from my mom which contains absolutely nothing healthy. She likes to call it "Death by Dairy Products" for obvious unhealthy reasons. I'm almost embarrassed to post it. Also, this picture sucks.
Macaroni and Cheese
(From the Mother Unit)
Ingredients:
1 lb cooked elbows
6 tbs butter
6 tbs flour
4 cups scalded milk
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp cayenne
Pepper to taste
1 ½ cup grated cheddar
1 ½ cup grated monterey jack cheese
1 cup parmesan cheese
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup buttered bread crumbs
Directions:
1. Melt butter and stir in flour. 
2.  Slowly add milk, stirring constantly till boiling. Reduce heat and stir in spices. 
3. Stir in ½ of each cheese and cook till melted. Combine sauce with macaroni. 
4. Assemble in buttered casserole by layering macaroni with remaining cheese. 
5. Top with cream and breadcrumbs.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
The Aftermath
I can't believe no one went for a drumstick! Mr. Lawyer has called dibs on them for breakfast.
And then Mr. Lawyer and Christine attempted to explain what their jobs entailed effectively putting Brad and I to sleep. Wait, you mean not everyone has exciting stories about hooligans lighting things on fire at work?!

No comments:

Post a Comment