Saturday, February 26, 2011

Meatless Saturday!

All of my food magazines (of which there are entirely too many) tell me that I should strive for at least one meatless day in order to reduce my carbon footprint and be a sustainable individual. During the week breakfast and lunch are normally not a problem for me. But living with a boy makes a meatless dinner pretty hard. Today we succeed!
Feder's (our neighborhood farmer's market/specialty store) has an amazing mushroom salad but I wasn't about to pay five bucks for a small container. So I hunted down a recipe online, served it with some homemade pita chips and it came out pretty darn good! The Lawyer says it's a keeper.
This time I did the pita chips with some olive oil I sautéed up with some garlic. The garlic complimented the mushroom salad very well. They were whole wheat pitas from Feder's (even more healthy!). The original recipe is here!
Creamy Mushroom Salad with Pita Chips
Ingredients:
4 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
8 oz. cream cheese
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons grated onion
Directions:
1. Mix together all ingredients except the mushrooms.
2. Gently fold in the mushrooms.
3. Serve on pita chips! Or some nice crisp leafy lettuce.
As I mentioned, nice and yummy. I'm thinking that it's going to be like a macaroni or potato salad and that by tomorrow all the flavors will melt together and it will be even more yummy!
Mr. Lawyer's Winging it Veggie Soup!
Mr. Lawyer bought a pre-packaged bunch of soup veggies from Feder's which contained parsnips (yum!), carrots, yellow squash, celery, a shallot, red potatoes, and some dill. He made a broth from the veggie bouillon we have, through everything in with some cracked pepper and the leftover garlic chunks and olive oil from my pita chips and let it simmer till everything was perfectly creamy and cooked through. He then added some pasta and left it cook an additional 10 minutes. He had no plan and winged it and it turned out great! The bouillon added some saltiness, the squash and potatoes some creaminess, parsnips are just yummy, and the pasta soaked up any extra broth so it wasn't too watery.
mmmmm mushrooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment