Sunday, February 23, 2014

Kale Salad

This salad knocked my socks off which was pretty awesome considering it was made from leftover kale and random bits of things from the cupboards! A salad was in order since I had a bunch of leftover kale from the deliciously healthy Green Meatloaf. There was also some leftover feta languishing away in the fridge so I tossed that it and topped it off with one of my favorite salad topping combos: cranberries and pecans (or sunflower seeds). A tangy lemon vinaigrette was mixed up and my poor leftover kale was turned into a deliciously zippy salad. The tartness of the vinaigrette worked well with the sweetness of the cranberries. The best part is it was amazing the next day for breakfast! Since kale is so hearty it stood up to the dressing and did not get soggy and mushy after it was dressed. The flavors melded together well and I've already got another kale salad lined up for this week!

P.S. Let's admire this beautiful yellow Fiesta salad bowl from the Kitchen Kraft line. Thanks Mother Unit!
Lemon Vinaigrette
Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
Zest of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon agave
A pinch of salt
Directions:
1. Mix it all together and shake, shake, shake!
**Note: this was the basic recipe, I did end up tweaking it by adding a little more of this and that until it suited my taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment