Tuesday, April 24, 2012

You Say Frittata

I say delicious! Another lovely pinterest find: a yummy looking frittata. I've never made a frittata before and was worried we might end up calling down for chinese. But fear not! With some simple adaptations this recipe was a winner. Most importantly I don't have an oven safe pan so I couldn't cook it on the stove top and then broil it as many recipes called for. I found another frittata recipe that baked it for 35 minutes at 400 degrees and it worked like a charm. I didn't measure the cheese because I'm a champ like that. I added some to the mix and sprinkled some on top until it looked good. 
Asparagus Blue Cheese Frittata
(found on pinterest, adapted from the eighty twenty blog)
Ingredients:
3 eggs
6 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoon olive oil
1 bunch asparagus, thick ends trimmed 
Salt, pepper, garlic powder (to taste)
Olive oil spray
1 cup red onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (I might have used more...)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degress. Place asparagus on a baking tray and coat with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bake until tender, 15-20 minutes depending on thickness. 
2. Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a pan and saute the onion until tender. Meanwhile mix together eggs, egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, and milk. Cut the asparagus into 1/4 inch pieces. Add asparagus, onion, and half of the cheese to egg mixture and pour into a greased pie pan/casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining amount of cheese on top.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake for 35 minutes.

Guess it was good, this is all we had left!

No comments:

Post a Comment