Saturday, September 21, 2013

Kitchen Blasphemy

My lovely friend Jackie threw a little birthday dinner for Mr. Lawyer the other weekend. Kielbasa and pierogies made an appearance on the Mr. Lawyer-centric menu. She found a pickle cupcake recipe for me to try out. Now I must admit that I was skeptical. While I was making them I felt like I was committing kitchen blasphemy. Pickle cupcakes? So wrong.
I was so sick and stuffy that I couldn't actually taste them but I have it on the authority of three adults and a two year old that they were very good! They decided that "savory muffin" was a better way to describe them than cupcakes. We served them up with some vanilla ice cream.
It's about to get real...
It was certainly a kitchen adventure!
Savory Dill Pickle Muffins 
(A Jackie Find! from the cupcakeproject.com)
Ingredients:
1 cup flour
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground dill
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup dill pickle juice (the liquid from the pickle jar)
1/3 cup finely chopped dill pickles
Directions:
1. Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, dill, salt, and onion powder in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in eggs and sour cream until blended.
4. Alternately fold in flour mixture and pickle juice, beginning and ending with the flour.
5. Fold in the chopped pickles.
6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
7. Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cupcake clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment