Last weekend was miserable. It rained for almost three days. But a good rainy weekend is good for a few things: staying in your pjs, binge watching netflix, reading in bed, and soup! I thought this was a pretty good potato soup recipe but then I have no experience making potato soup. I've had some very good restaurant potato soup but I'm sure they put a ton of unhealthy things in it instead of just half a ton. I used our Dinosaur BBQ Cajun Foreplay Seasoning and it was divine.
Please excuse my messy stovetop!
It was served up with some Cabot cheddar, homemade bacon bits, and nice crusty bread.
(from the Pioneer Woman)Ingredients:
6 slices Thin Bacon, Cut Into 1-inch Pieces
1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
3 whole Carrots, Scrubbed Clean And Diced
3 stalks Celery, Diced
6 whole Small Russet Potatoes, Peeled And Diced
8 cups Low Sodium Chicken Or Vegetable Broth
3 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1/2 teaspoon Salt, More To Taste
Black Pepper To Taste
1/2 teaspoon Cajun Spice Mix
1 teaspoon Minced Fresh Parsley
1 cup Grated Cheese Of Your Choice
1. Add bacon pieces to a soup pot over medium heat and cook bacon until crisp and fat is rendered. Remove the bacon from the pot and set it aside. Pour off most of the grease, but do not clean the pot.
2. Return the hot to medium-high heat and add the onions, carrots, and celery. Stir and cook for 2 minutes or so, then add the diced potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, seasoning with salt, pepper, and Cajun spice.
3. Pour in the broth and bring it to a gentle boil. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are starting to get tender. Whisk together the flour and the milk, then pour into the soup and allow the soup to cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Remove half to 2/3 the soup and blend in a blender/food process until completely smooth. Pour it back into the soup pot and stir to combine. Let it heat back up as you taste for seasonings, adding more of what it needs. Stir in cream, then stir in parsley, reserving a little for garnish.
5. Serve in bowls garnished with parsley, grated cheese and crisp bacon pieces.