Thursday, November 27, 2014

DIY Thursday: Mailbox Refresh

I've decided that Thursdays will be my DIY/Thriftscore blog post day.

The mailbox that came with our house is oversized and unique. It's a weird pull down/rotating, scoop bucket number that I wasn't a fan of at first but it's grown on me. The two immediate problems being it was rusting something fierce and it leaked like a sieve due to holes in the seams (as in one day our phone bill was completely water logged and I had to spread out all the sopping pages on the kitchen table and then send in our dry but crinkly and faded bill. Yay homeownership!). Originally we thought of replacing it but after looking at new ones we realized that we would have to drill new holes into the brick because the new mailboxes are smaller. Not only are we not equipped to drill into brick but I'm cheap and didn't want to spend money on a box that had considerably less character than our existing one. I decided an added bonus was that our full address was already on the box which is helpful because we are a corner lot with X address but our front door/driveway are on Y street. Cue confused delivery and maintenance type people. So this Sunday the mailbox came down and I began it's transformation process! Luckily it was warm enough to work outside on the deck so making a mess and fumes were not an issue.
Mailbox Refresh!
Materials: wire brush, spray paint (I had leftover from our handrail project), painters tape, caulk (if needed)

Step 1: Scrape as much rust and old paint off as possible with a wire brush.
Step 2: Tape up address plate, gold ring, and any other parts you don't want painted.
Step 3: If needed caulk up the holes and seams. Let dry.
Step 4: Spray paint with a fabulous color, let dry, hang back up, and wow your mailman.
My lovely rust bucket in all her random paint layer glory.
 All shiny! You can see how the hammered paint helps blend in the rust bumps on lefts. 
A note about spray paint: Our outside iron handrails were also incredibly rusty. We did the same sprucing up project with them this summer and they look awesome! We decided to go with Rust-oleum Hammered Paint and Primer in one. Even after the scraping the handrails (and mailbox!) were still blemished and uneven. I felt that a flat color would highlight the bumpy imperfections. This paint creates an shiny hammered metal finish which helps blend the rough patches. I've been thrilled with the outcomes of both projects. It's completely worth the extra couple of dollars.
This project was easy and quick (even with the drying time it was 30-60 minutes). Best of all it was free since I already had all the supplies from various other household adventures. Spray paint has certainly become one of my best friends since owning a home. From handrails and mailboxes to furniture, garden things, and medicine cabinets it helps me complete quick and easy facelift projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment